Merazophis is a human turned vampire by Sophia. He is also her butler and was her caretaker when she was a toddler. At present, he is the Commander of the Fourth Demon Army, but continues to be Sophia's butler and one remaining family member from their hometown.
Merazophis being a vampire has a pair of long canine teeth, a pale complexion and pointed ears. He has long black hair that he keeps in a neat ponytail and red eyes that highlight his complexion. His usual outfit is a mix of his original butler's outfit with a cloak to protect him from sunlight during the day, since unlike Sophia, he is weakened by sunlight due to not being a Progenitor. On his right arm, he wields a claw-like gauntlet. In the anime, he appears to have blue hair instead of black.
Merazophis having been a servant of a noble is a polite and very well mannered person. Mera is very loyal, especially towards Sophia.
Merazophis fell in love with Sophia's mother, but he knew that with his social status he would never be able to be together with the one he loves. Due to that he devoted himself to be the Keren family's loyal and most trusted servant, thinking that seeing the one he loves happy is enough for him.
As noted by Ariel, Merazophis had the unconscious habit of selling himself short and being too humble. This is seen where he believed his abilities to be inferior to that of the other Demon Commanders, when in fact his abilities were exemplary. This mentality was stated to be due to spending too much time with the likes of Ariel, Sophia, White and Wrath, whose abilities were all incredibly high level and out of the norm.
Originally he was the right-hand man and valet of the lord of the Keren territory in the country of Sariella. Having been caught up in the conflict between the Word of God Religion and the Goddess Religion, he became a vampire due to Sophia when she was almost about to be killed by Potimas. Since then he has worked under Demon Lord Ariel together with Sophia, and after distinguishing himself in the armies he rose up to become an army commander. While he has the rank of an army commander, he gives maximum priority to Sophia. Having sworn an oath of allegiance to the now deceased lord and lady and having inherited their dying wish, he puts in great efforts every day in order to become a man who can protect Sophia.
As the commander of the Fourth Demon Army, he fought a pair of adventurer reincarnations, Kunihiko and Asaka. He was barely wounded, but chose to retreat despite putting both Kunihiko and Asaka on their backfeet. According to his own laments, the two of them pushed him to his limits such that he only kept up with them due to his overwhelming stats. During his lamentation, he also reveals that he has gained the skill Perseverance, along with the title Ruler of Perseverance.
- John Keren & Seras Keren
- Merazophis has been in love with Seras prior to her marriage to her husband John, with Merazophis having kept his feelings for her a secret due to knowing that he stood no actual chance of being with her due to the difference in their social positions. Despite never having admitted his love for her, Merazophis instead decided to devote himself to Seras and to her Husband as their servant, comforting himself in the fact that he could at the very least find happiness in seeing the one he loves happy with the man he respected the most. Later after their deaths, Merazophis swore to raise and protect their orphaned daughter in their place.
- Sophia Keren
- Sophia is the only daughter of Merazophis's former masters. After their deaths. Merazophis swore to raise and care for Sophia in their place, becoming extremely devoted to her and caring and loving her as his own daughter. Sophia herself is also the one responsible for turning him into a vampire during the destruction of the Keren County after the elves infiltrated the Keren manor to kill Sophia due to realizing that Merazophis had no chance of defending himself against the elves as a human. During the course of their travels with Ariel and Shiro, Merazophis has shown to have become something akin to a parental figure to Sophia. In order to become strong enough to protect her, Merazophis trained and endured the "power leveling" training method used by Shiro and Ariel in order to increase his power due to learning of the powerful enemies who would likely target Sophia.
- After the war of the Sariella/Keren County, Merazophis and Sophia were taken under the protection of current Demon Lord, Ariel and began traveling with her back to the Demon Realm. During this time, Merazophis was shown to have developed a strong level of care, respect and loyalty towards Ariel for assisting him and his young charge during their time traveling together and protecting them from the Elves and training them to become strong enough to defend themsevles. Merazophis in particular would developed a strong understanding of Ariel's personality and intentions and upon becoming one of the commanders of the Demon King's armies, he became one of the few commanders that are absolutely loyal towards her.
- Even during the days Shiraori was still an Arachne, he respected her but had an overall mixed opinion of her. Initially, Merazophis, like many of the other natives of the world, found Kumoko's behavior to baffling and confusing due to her seemingly erratic and unpredictable behavior of both killing or saving humans seemingly at random. The best way he could describe her was that she was both sinister, but at the same time honorable. He couldn’t help but feel confused by her behavior, as it rendered him unable to even understand her train of thought or sense of reasoning.
- Merazophis officially recognized Shiraori as an ally after she protected him and Sophia from Potimas. He was grateful to both her and Ariel for protecting them after the war in Keren County and escorting them to the Demon Realm. During the journey, he did show concern regarding Ariel’s passive-aggressive treatment toward Shiraori. Following Shiraori’s evolution, Merazophis was shown to have a good working relationship with Shiraori as fellow commanders of the Demon King's Armies. Merazophis also operates as a subordinate of her due to his mistress being also being her subordinate and follows her commands.
- Merazophis first crossed paths with Wrath while he was under the influence of the Wrath skill, causing the latter to attack him and leave him mortally wounded. Despite this problematic first meeting, though, Merazophis understood that the boy was not in his right mind and they currently have a respectable co-worker relationship after his skill was sealed and he joined the Demon Army.
- As Sophia is also one of the Reincarnations, Merazophis is shown to have a level of respect for them in general.
- Kunihiko Tagawa & Asaka Kushitani
- Merazophis was ordered by Shiraori and Ariel to massacre Kunihiko and Asaka's tribe to prevent them from crossing paths with Filimøs and subsequently be abducted by the Elves, as the mercenary clan would likely have been unwilling to let them leave by other means. Regardless of this being done to protect them, Merazophis knew that what he did was unforgivable and fully accepted their hatred, though he also expressed that he would not simply let them kill him when they would come to claim their vengeance. During the Human-Demon War, Merazophis would indeed battle the two of them once again when he and his army invaded the fortress the two of them were assigned to guard. During the course of the fight, Merazophis has shown to have developed a level of respect for the two of them due to them being able to keep up with him and fight him for a prolonged period. Upon them successfully grazing him, Merazophis resolved to use the experience he gained from fighting them to further increase his power to better protect Sophia. Later he would once again fight them during the invasion of the Elf Village.
Despite having been put through the same specialized training as Sophia by Shiro and Ariel, Mera's growth was relatively slow due to being an adult. However, despite admitting that he has no talent, his constant drive to improve himself has nonetheless made him extremely powerful by human standards, capable of taking on three Reincarnations and a Court Mage simultaneously whilst refraining from killing. Compared to his overpowered comrades, he describes himself as more of a "user-of-all, master-of-none" type.
Titles & Skills
- Physical Stats: By the time of The Great Human-Demon War, his stats were all around 5,000, making him equal to an S-Rank monster.
- Swordsmanship: Due to his constant effort, he is an excellent swordman, easily outdueling Kunihiko.
- Vampire: At the price of taking constant damage from sunlight, being a Vampire grants him enhanced stats along with the following unique skills:
- Blood Sucking: Allows him to suck another's blood to regain MP and SP. However, he needs to do so regularly lest he succumb to thirst.
- Perseverance: Granted to him for his steadfast drive to for self-improvement and previously owned by Shiro; it allows him to use his MP as HP once the latter reaches 0.
- Magic Power Perception & Magic Power Operation: Allows him to perceive and control magic power to cast spells.
- Dark Magic: Allows him to summon and manipulate darkness. He is skilled enough to be able to cast high-ranking spells, which usually takes multiple casters, by himself.
- Clone: He can make a clone of himself made of shadows, though this copy has inferior stats.
- Creature Taming: Acquired during his days as a butler, it allows him to tame wild or already domesticated monsters.
- Summoning An evolved version of Creature Taming; allows him to summon his tamed monsters to his side.
- A pair of Fenerush: two horse like earth wyrm used to pull the carriage Ariel and company use to travel. The two later evolves into:
|Reincarnations||Kumoko • Shun • Katia • Fei • Filimøs • Yuri • Hugo • Sajin • Ogi • Kunihiko • Asaka • Sophia • Wrath|
|Natives||Ariel • Meiges • Julius • Cylis • Ronandt • Sue • Potimas • Merazophis • Ael • Sael • Riel • Fiel • Hyrince • Yaana • Jeskan • Hawkin • Aurel • Dustin • Balto • Bloe • Agner • Felmina • Anna • Klevea • Wald • Sanatoria • Kogou • Huey • Darad • Buirimus • Goyef • Basgath|
|Gods||Güliedistodiez • Shiraori • Sariel • D • Meido|