Warning: Exploring this aspect of the So I'm a Spider, So What? Wiki contains heavy spoilers.
Ariel is the Origin Taratect, the progenitor of the entire Taratect species, as well as the current Demon Lord. Initially acting as a major antagonist in both the main storyline and prolepsis, trying to kill Kumoko in the former and instigating The Great Human-Demon War in the latter, she later becomes one of the main characters of the main story.
The Queen Taratects and Puppet Taratects are her closest kin, have wills and personalities of their own and are not dominated by her Kin Control skill. They are her family and closest allies in the current world. Due to this she has a important emotional attachment to all of them.
The oldest Ancient Divine Beast, the Demon Lord, and the Ruler of Gluttony. She is actually the Origin Taratect, the progenitor of the entire taratect spider-monster species. All taratects are her kin and offspring, directly descended from her, and their souls are connected to her. However, one of her offspring turned out to be a reincarnation from another world and rebelled against her. This individual used their mutual connection to launch an unprecedented attack directly on Ariel's soul. Her efforts to resist led to them essentially devouring each other's souls, until they began to merge together.
Ariel appears no different than regular human, though she looks like she is in her early-teens. She has short black hair, with a pure white strip on her bangs. Her skin is a light, healthy tone and her eyes are an unnatural red. Despite appearances, she is one of the oldest beings on the planet.
She wears a tube-top and hot-pants outfit, adorned with straps around her waist and legs. Along her back is a stripped cape with a high-fur collar. This cape has eight strips which represent her spider-like nature and which she can control by using her thread Skill.
|“||I know that I’m being selfish. However, I can’t yield on this. I must finish everything with Potimas by myself.||”|
Not much is known of Ariel's personality before her soul was attacked by Kumoko's Parallel Mind named Body Brain. But its been stated by both Güliedistodiez and Ariel herself that her original personality was stated to be more cautious, if not outright paranoid. During the battle with Earth Dragon Gakia, Ariel's soul melded with the Parallel Mind; in consequence, Ariel ended up retaining the wills and personalities of two individuals blended into one.
As observed, Ariel was shown to have gained several of Kumoko's personality traits upon merging with her Parallel Mind, effectively gaining the same quirky, hyper-active and somewhat childish tendencies of Kumoko. Ariel was also noted to have gained a great bulk of Kumoko's general knowledge about Japanese Culture after the merge, as seen where she had the general idea of what a Samurai was and had apparently begun mimicking the same Super-hero/Magical Girl posing habits of Kumoko.
Ariel herself noted that she herself has become much more aggressive and energetic upon merging with Kumuko's parallel will.
Ariel has a strong, independent personality, but also cares deeply for her kin. She was enraged beyond reason when the Queen Taratect of the Great Elroe Labyrinth was killed by Kumoko, leading the the deaths of many Earth Dragons that fought her, including Earth Dragon Gakia, the leader of the dragons in the Great Elroe Labyrinth. Afterwards, she felt that her soul had melded with Kumoko's, resulting in a more easy-going personality and gaining certain principles, such as never leaving leftovers behind and the latter's care-free, happy go lucky disposition. She was still able to retain much of her original sense of self as a mature, serious individual.
During her travels with Kumoko, Sophia, and Merazophis, she is shown to be able to read people with extreme scrutiny, constantly pinpointing the emotional struggles Sophia and Mera are dealing with and offering advice on how to deal with personal or relationship issues they are having, as well as reading their thoughts from nothing but gaze alone. This advice, though, is blunt. Ariel herself is also extremely blunt about her motives: she is not nice for the sake of being nice. Her advice to Sophia and Mera is partly out of sympathy, but also to benefit herself; she states that getting on Kumoko's, now named White, good side is her goal for helping them.
Both Sophia and Merazophis reason that Ariel is truly helping them out of her own heart, though, due to how petty she is with White; constantly goading her due to their complicated relationship and the grudge she has against White for killing so many of her close kin. It can be reasoned that Ariel does not reveal her true motives easily, but is actually a kind and caring individual to those she considers family or friends. She is even willing to be the guardian of these children, comparatively speaking, struggling with their emotions. She has a strong sense of responsibility, clearly stating that an adult is one that is needed to explain to children the correct choices in any given situation and why those choices are the correct ones. 
On the other side of the coin, she is absolutely ruthless towards her enemies, offering no sympathy whatsoever, and completely devouring everything that stands in her way. In her battle with Kumoko, before Mother's death, Ariel didn't hesitate to completely obliterate Kumoko once she understood that they were enemies.
Over the course of their travels together, Ariel eventually parts ways with her grudge against White, indicating that she is a rather forgiving person, as well. White often refers to her as a true saint, one who automatically thinks about the well-being of others before themselves. This is mentioned when Ariel decides to save Sael from the tank in the hidden underground facility.
Despite having the appearance of a girl in her early teens, Ariel is actually one of the oldest beings on the planet, having lived since before the implementation of the System.
The person who would become known as Ariel was born as the daughter of Potimas Harrifenas. She was not birthed through normal means, though. Rather, she was the result of one of his experiments: a Chimera created by slicing his genes with that of a spider; codenamed "Taratect". Because of this, her body was born with the ability to generate toxins. However, she did not have any resistance, causing her to slowly poison herself. To make matters worse, her poison generation was consuming all her physical energy, leaving her in a constant state of hunger and unable to move her body.
Taratect's life under Potimas was horrible, as he saw her as nothing more than a laboratory animal and regularly experimented on her. However, he at least provided her essentials, such as food and treatment for her condition. One day, though, she was rescued when authorities raided the lab she was held at. Afterward, she and other children Potimas experimented on were taken in by the Sariella Society charitable organization. The organization's founder, Sariel, introduced herself to Teract and asked her for her name. However, unable to answer, she instead tried to utter Sariel's name but could only pronounce "Ariel", which became her new name henceforth.
Ariel's first appearance is from the perspective of Balto. She is rather nonchalant and disrespectful to the Demon Army Commanders, and forces her work onto Balto, who guides the meeting. When two of the commanders begin to fight, she displays a bit of her power, literally forcing them to sit down with a unique skill application.
Her next appearance is after the conclusion of the Human-Demon Great War, where she picks up the Hero's scarf and shows it to Shiro before enchanting it with magic and leaving it for the humans to find.
Ariel's fourth appearance is on the back of an arch taratect, on the journey to the elf village. She is eager to crush the elves, but says she will act with enough restraint to not hurt the reincarnations.
Both of these events occur before her chronological appearance in the story, where she first meets and engages Kumoko after Mother calls for Ariel's aid. Mother's soul is being devoured by Kumoko's Parallel Wills, so Ariel comes to stop her. Due to language difficulties, negotiations break down. Kumoko is obliterated by Ariel's strength. To Ariel's surprise, the attack on the queen taratect's soul does not subside, and she eventually realizes that the Zana Horowa she thought dead is very much alive. She spreads out her puppet taratects to find and engage Kumoko, who is using Spatial Magic to keep Ariel and her forces at a disadvantage. The puppets are defeated through underhanded tactics such as drowning, forcing Ariel to tighten their formation around her so she does not lose any more. Ariel is unable to find and destroy Kumoko before she finishes consuming the queen's soul.
- Ariel first learned of Kumoko when "Mother" send an S.O.S. that she was attacking her soul. Upon confronting her, she requested her to cease her actions, which she did not understand due to the language barrier. Her request seemingly denied, and judging her to be too dangerous, Ariel attacked Kumoko and seemingly killed her. However, she survived and Ariel send pursuers. Unfortunately, Kumoko defeated not only them but also "mother" herself, causing Ariel to vow vengeance. At the same time, Kumoko attacked Ariel's soul as well, causing her to learn about her past. Requesting assistance from Güliedistrodiez, Ariel launched a surprise attack on Kumoko by teleporting to her location. However, Kumoko survived once again by transferring her soul into her offspring. Ultimately, with neither able to defeat the other, Ariel proposed a ceasefire, which Kumoko accepted.
- Ariel initially intended to use their ceasefire to find a way to either control Kumoko or kill her permanently. To this end, she attempted to tame her by giving her a name, Shiro (or White), but this had no effect at all. Also, even after learning the key to her immortality, Ariel was forced to give up on revenge as it would be nigh impossible to destroy all of Shiro's offspring. After this, though, the two finally began to bond as they laid their grievances bare and both ended up saving the others' life during the battle with G-Fleet.
- Spoilers for Volume 7+
- Exactly how much Ariel had grown to care for Shiro is on full display in how she protected her following her evolution into Shiraori, rather than taking advantage of her initially weakened state. After finally making it back to the demon country, Shiraori became Ariel's most trusted associate and proved instrumental in turning the tide of the shadow-war against the Elves in her favor. Overall, Ariel concluded that she made the right choice in recruiting Shiraori, as she not only gained a loyal follower but also a granddaughter.
- Potimas Harrifenas
- Ariel displays an extremely antagonistic attitude towards Potimas and the elves he rules, so much so that Ariel's kin has instinctual hatred towards elves. She views him as an exceptionally distrustful, cunning and power-hungry individual. To the point that she stationed a Queen Taratect, a legendary S-class monster, near his village to keep him in check. Considering him the worst, most hateful and problematic existence in the world, she wills to eliminate him together with all of the elves once it is the proper time to do so.
- Dustin LXI
- Acquaintances. Despite their contradictory philosophies and enmity, Ariel and Dustin share a very respectful relationship with each other, being able to have honest conversations and sometimes even providing assistance between each other despite knowing they are bound to become enemies one day. It is implied they have known each other for a very long time, both being part of the few who were alive since before the creation of the System.
- An acquaintance and occasional ally. As shown from their interactions, Ariel is shown to have a friendly, amicable relationship with him, as it has been implied they have known each other for a very long time. This is seen where the two are shown to be friendly enough with each other to share information with each and later Guliedistodiez himself was willing to help Ariel and do favors for her, as seen where he saw her in good light as the daughter to a dear friend of his as he offered to teleport her to Kumoko's location. The two have also shown to be long time allies in dealing with their longtime common enemy.
- Sophia Keren
- Rescued as a baby by Ariel. Sophia looks up to Ariel as a mother and mentor in her life and is currently serving in the 10th army.
- Balto Phthalo
- Close aide; Balto is one of the few earnest subordinates Ariel has amongst the demons. However, his loyal does not come from trust or respect but fear, being one of the few people aware of her strength. Despite this, though, Ariel trusts Balto enough to put him in charge of the demon realm in her absence and to any ensure rebellious elements are kept in check.
- Bloe Phthalo
- Ariel views Bloe as a childish and annoying individual due to his disrespectful attitude towards her. However, she lets his behavior slide as a small favor towards Balto and because she knows he is no real threat to her, making him the new 7th Demon Army Commander and gathering all rebellious elements around him to make them easier to deal with.
- Queen Taratects & Puppet Taratects
- Ariel is shown to have a very close relationship with the Queen Taratects and the Puppet Taratects due to them being her strongest and oldest subordinates. Ariel in particular has admitted that she feels strong maternal instincts and feelings for them due to them technically being her children and considers them to be her "daughters" and is extremely protective towards them. This is seen where she flew into rage upon realizing that one of her daughters was being "killed" by one of its offspring and immediately went to her side to save her. Later her grudge against the creature responsible would only further develop when the when it proceeded to kill some of her Puppet Taratects during their hunt to exterminate it and later she felt genuine grief when the Queen was killed and caused her to swear to avenge her. Upon realizing that she couldn't kill the one responsible, Ariel fell into deep grief and silently prayed for forgiveness towards her daughters that she couldn't avenge them and ask that they forgive her shortcomings as their mother.
- As she is the progenitor of the Spider Monster Race, Ariel is the leader of the Taratects and all of them are descendent from her. Ariel herself has complete control over them and they follow her orders without question. Ariel herself has shown to have a level of fondness for her descendants and treats them all with care and affection.
- Ariel has currently taken command of the Demon Race to use them to wage war on humanity to have them build up MA energy to help speed up the planets recovery. Due to her having suddenly appeared out of nowhere and claimed the position of Demon Lord and her rapid militarization of the Demon Realm despite the race's issues and dwindling population, Ariel is apparently well hated and disliked by her subjects who have already proclaimed her to be a tyrant. And due to Ariel actively hiding her powers, a majority of the Demons are assuming that Ariel herself is not all that powerful, fueling the discontent with her and causing numerous acts of revolt during her rule. Ariel herself is largely unconcerned with the Demons perception with her and is unthreatened by them.
- Ariel has had centuries of active conflict and bloodshed with the Elves due to their status as the servants and spare bodies for Potimas. Ariel herself has shown to have nothing but deep contempt and hatred for the elves and see's no difference between them and Potimas and considers them to be nothing more than a threat to the world that needs to be purged. Ariel has spent centuries fighting the elves, and during the course of her long life, she has successfully slaughtered and killed thousands of elves that has lead her to even gain specific titles and skills that can only be gained from killing Elves in mass. In fact, Ariel's hatred for the elves is so immense, that her children such as the Queen Taratects have developed an instinctual hatred of them due to her feelings have passed on to them and into the deepest part of their souls.
- Ariel learned of the reincarnations after absorbing Kumoko's "Body-Brain" Parallel Mind. She believes the reason they were reborn is to bring about change, since their world had grown stagnant. Overall, though, Ariel pities the reincarnations for the unfortunate situation they were put in and wants them to live peacefully if possible and actively indulged in Shiraori's requests to protect them and leave them relatively unscathed in the grand scheme of their plans. However, she is still willing to dispose of them should they get in her way.
- Ariel sees Sariel as a motherly figure. After being abandoned by Potimas as a failed experiment and left on the verge of death, Ariel was rescued and brought to Sariel’s orphanage. Sariel was the first person Ariel met after Potimas, and the first one who properly talked and communicated with her. She is also the one who gave Ariel her name.
- Ariel’s stay in the orphanage and relationship with Sariel and the people in there saved her from her fate of just living awaiting her death as a being without emotions nor will to live, and gave meaning to her life. It also helped her improve a little her physical condition over time.
- Sariel is the reason why Ariel became the Demon Lord and spearheaded the Great Human-Demon War in an attempt to save her by increasing the energy given to the world with the sacrifices and restoring it to its normal state. She’s also the reason behind Ariel’s deep hatred towards humanity, who sacrified Sariel in order to save the world they themselves had driven to its ruin with their greed and ignorance. Currently, Ariel is willing to do everything in order to free Sariel from her shackles, even if she herself doesn’t want to be saved, or even if more than half of humanity has to be sacrificed to achieve that end.
Powers & Abilities
Ariel is the most powerful being within the confines of the System, rivaled and surpassed only by Gods. Her strength comes from a combination of her great lifespan and being the progenitor of the Taratect species. As a result, all her starts are nearly maxed and she can call on her offspring whenever she pleases, giving her enough firepower to take on the whole of humanity by herself. Kumoko describes Ariel's strength as "genre-breaking", comparing her to characters from "some power-creeper shonen".
Titles & Skills
- Gluttony: Her signature move: it allows her to consume anything, from earth, to metal, to living beings, and turn it into sustenance and power that further increases her already nearly-maxed stats over the System limit. All she needs to do to activate it is clamp her teeth together and any target in her line of sight is automatically consumed, allowing her to also use it offensively.
- Humility: Gained after absorbing Kumoko's "Body-Brain" Parallel Mind; it allows her to produce a Boundary Field, effectively giving her power on-par with a god. However, since she is not a god, it places a heavy burden on her soul; normally, it would have reduced her lifespan, but, being semi-immortal, she can endure it.
- Precise Magic Power Operation: Allows her to perceive and control Magic Power better than the regular Magic Power Operation.
- Kin Domination: As the progenitor of the entire Taratect species, she is able to mentally exert her influence over any her descendants.
- Summoning: Allows her to teleport any Taratect to her side from anywhere in the world.
- Marionette Threads: Combines multiple high-level thread Skills, such as Divine Thread Weaving, Thread Genius, and Thread Control, to produce threat from her finger tips and control it. She mostly uses it to restrain her opponents and control others' movements as if they were puppets.
- Stats: As a result of all of her stats being nearly maxed out, Ariel is capable one-shoting nearly any opponent. Her strength is so great that she can create shockwaves just by swiping her arms and she is fast enough that by the time Kumoko detected her she was already right next to her. Shiraori even claimed that Ariel could destroy an entire town just by sneezing.
- Intelligence: Being one of the oldest beings on the planet, Ariel has an unimaginable amount of experience in both battle and politics. She also has great deductive abilities, being able to figure out the mechanics of Shiro's Egg Revival from just a few hints.
- Polyglot: Ariel is fluent with both human and demon language. After absorbing Kumoko's "Body-Brain" Parrallel Mind, she became capable of speaking Japanese.
|Vol 4-7: Demon Lord Attack|
|Origin taratect||LV139||Skill Points: 0||Ariel|
|Average Offense Ability :||90,021|
|Average Defense Ability :||89,997|
|Average Magic Ability :||87,504|
|Average Resistance Ability :||87,489|
|Average Speed Ability :||89,518|
|Human Slayer • Human Slaughterer • Human Calamity • Demon Slayer • Demon Slaughterer • Demon Calamity • Monster Slayer • Monster Slaughterer • Monster Calamity • Wyrm Slayer • Wyrm Slaughterer • Wyrm Calamity • Dragon Slayer • Dragon Slaughterer • Merciless • Foul Feeder • Kin eater • Assassin • Poison Technique User • Thread User • Puppet User • Commander • Champion • Lord • Ancient Divine Beast • Ruler of Gluttony • Demon Lord|
- Ariel has been a member of the adventurer guild for a long time, but only because of the perks that it provides.
- Ariel's voice actress Sumire Uesaka previously voiced Kumoko for the light novel's promo videos.
- According to D, Ariel has the second smallest chest size in the series, smaller than Sue and the only one smaller being Filimøs.
|Reincarnations||Kumoko • Shun • Katia • Fei • Filimøs • Yuri • Hugo • Sajin • Ogi • Kunihiko • Asaka • Sophia • Wrath|
|Natives||Ariel • Meiges • Julius • Cylis • Ronandt • Sue • Potimas • Merazophis • Ael • Sael • Riel • Fiel • Hyrince • Yaana • Jeskan • Hawkin • Aurel • Dustin • Balto • Bloe • Agner • Felmina • Anna • Klevea • Wald • Sanatoria • Kogou • Huey • Darad • Buirimus • Goyef • Basgath|
|Gods||Güliedistodiez • Shiraori • Sariel • D • Meido|